After being inundated with Bermuda avocados thanks to Hurricane Nicole, we decided to cut them into slivers, coat them in breadcrumbs and turn them into fries. Deep fried or baked - both versions are delicious. Serve with spicy sriracha mayo dipping sauce (see below).
1-2 avocados, depending on size. Make sure they’re ripe but not overripe (too squishy and they won’t hold their shape when coated in breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp pepper 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Cut avocado into thin wedges. Not too thin, or they’ll fall apart and be hard to manage. Chunks work too.
- If you’re going to deep fry them, plug in your fryer. If you’re going to bake them, preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Prepare your three dunking bowls: bowl #1 = flour and salt; bowl #2 = egg, whisked; bowl #3 = bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, pepper and nutritional yeast.
- Dunk your avocado slices first into the flour, then into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture. Make sure they’re all evenly coated.
- For frying: cover a plate with a paper towel. Gently lower coated avocado slices into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on your prepared paper towel plate.
- For baking: place coated avocado slices on a metal cooling/baking rack, and place the rack inside of a another pan to collect any pieces that would otherwise fall onto the bottom of your spotless oven. Sprinkle with another bit of salt, if desired. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, turn, then bake for another 5 minutes. You can broil them at the end to get a golden brown color and a nice crunch.
- Serve with spicy sriracha mayo or your favorite dipping sauce.
Spicy Sriracha Mayo
Dollop of mayo
Dash of sriracha, to taste
1 glove garlic, pressed or minced