I first tried this recipe while staying with family friends in Florida. The result was so surprisingly delicious that it was half eaten before reaching the table!
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
4 large eggs (if your eggs are small, use 5)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
2-3 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
generous pinch of salt
6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
cheese for topping (parmesan or cheddar work well)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Pulse florets in a food processor until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice. Make sure not to leave any bigger pieces unpureed.
- Place cauliflower rice in a microwavable bowl, cover with a paper towel and microwave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line 2 circular deep dish metal pans (approx 8” in diameter) with parchment paper. Trim paper to the top rim of the pan to prevent it from burning during the final broiling stage.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, spices and garlic.
- Remove cauliflower from microwave and add to it the 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine and lower the temperature of the cauliflower slightly before adding the egg/spice/garlic mixture. Stir again thoroughly to combine.
- Pour half of the mixture in each of the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden on the top and nicely browned on the bottom. It should be firm to the touch but don’t over do it lest the crust become dried out.
- Sprinkle the top of each pan with the cheese of your choosing and broil on high until bubbly, roughly 3-8 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from pans and cut into rectangles. Serve with marinara as you would regular cheesy breadsticks.
Recipe makes two ~8” cauliflower “pizzas”, which can be cut into breadsticks or sliced into wedges.
Adapted from Jo Cook’s recipe.