Crunchy little haystacks of golden coconut with chewy centers and chocolate bottoms- good luck having just one!
Inspired by Joyofbaking.com.
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
3 cups sweetened coconut
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together eggs until nice and frothy, then add sugar salt, and coconut extract.
- Stir in shredded coconut until completely moistened. It will be very sticky!
- Drop small mounds (about 1 tablespoon) onto the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for about 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown on top. Don’t overbake- they’ll get hard and lose their moistness.
- Meanwhile, combine chocolate and butter in a double boiler and melt over low heat. Don’t use high heat- you’re chocolate will seize and becoming very difficult to work with! If this happens, add a smidge of warm milk to loosen things up.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Dip the bottom of each macaroon in the melted chocolate.
- Place the macaroons, chocolate side down, on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate hardens. Store in an airtight container or in the fridge if you live in a warm climate.
Makes ~24 macaroons.