An incredible combination of cheesy, chewy and creamy flavors.
This recipe is very easy to scale. Simply adjust quantities of onions and peppers to suit your taste- and add just enough cream cheese to bind it all together. To give you an idea: for ~6 medium-large mushrooms I used 1 small onion, 1 small pepper from a jar, 3 tablespoons of minced garlic and 1/3 an 8oz package of cream cheese.
Large gourmet stuffing mushrooms, cleaned and de-stemmed
Bell pepper or hot peppers in a jar (or both!), diced
Seasonings: black pepper, garlic powder, paprika + any other favorites
Your favorite cheese, cubed (gruyere, dubliner and mozzarella are my favorites)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sauté onion and peppers in a bit of olive oil over low-medium heat until tender and golden.
- Add garlic and cream cheese and stir until cream cheese is melted. You’re looking for a thick, smooth paste.
- Add seasonings to taste and remove from heat.
- Arrange mushroom caps upside-down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil (this helps with cleanup).
- Load mushrooms with spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture. Top with a cube of cheese.
- Bake for ~20 minutes. Mushrooms will brown slightly and the filling will be gooey and bubbly.