Studded with garlic and topped with bubbling cheese, this cauliflower kale bake puts plain old mashed potatoes to shame.
head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, diced (or a small onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 large handfuls of chopped kale (if you’re subbing spinach, add an extra handful or two)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup of a sharper cheese, ideally swiss cheese or irish dubliner (you could also use mozzarella with parmesan)
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Steam cauliflower florets over boiling water until soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté shallots in olive oil. Add garlic, nutmeg, garlic powder and red pepper flakes, stirring until fragrant. Add the kale and cover pan with lid until kale is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower into a food processer and pulse till smooth. Add cream, butter and 1/2 cup of mozarella and whiz again.
- Pour the kale mixture into the food processer and pulse one last time to combine. If you prefer smaller pieces of greens, do a few extra pulses.
- Turn the broiler on high.
- Transfer the combined mixture into an oven-proof dish and top with the remaining cheese and paprika, if desired. Broil until golden brown and bubbling.