Really, truly, the only cookie recipe you’ll ever need.
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (as desired)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, yolk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- Blend dry ingredients into wet mixture. Don’t overbeat!
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Form balls of dough (1-2 tablespoons) and place on sheets.
- Bake 17 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Cookies will not appear fully baked- this is OK! They will remain deliciously soft and chewy when slightly underbaked. Leave cookies on sheets for 2-3 minutes, then remove to racks to cool fully.
Mix it up by stirring in coconut flakes, white chocolate chips or m&ms.