Huge success with a modified version of Martha’s Ginger Molasses cupcakes. Great texture and a true-to-tradition gingerbread taste.
3 cups all-purpose flour (although bread flour works just fine)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup molasses
1 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup hot water
1 5-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line muffin tins with liners and grease with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, molasses and eggs until smooth.
- Add melted butter and hot water to wet mixture.
- Stir dry mixture into wet until just incorporated.
- Fold in fresh ginger by hand.
- Fill muffin cups (no more than 2/3 full or you’ll have the batter overflow onto the pan!).
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until centers are set and tester comes out clean. A dollop of homemade whipped cream goes great on top!
Makes ~21 cupcakes.