Granny passed away this year (2012), but she will live on forever in our kitchens with her favorite cookie recipe.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp almond extract
candied cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter, shortening and white sugar. Beat in almond extract.
- Combine flour with wet mixture.
- Form dough into balls. Smaller cookies will be puffier, and I recommend the size of a ping pong ball.
- Press a cherry half into the top of each cookie and bake on greased or parchment-lined baking sheets for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake and avoid browning the edges.
- Remove to wire racks and let cool. Store in airtight container to prevent from getting soggy.