Inspired from a trip to Hawaii over Christmas 2009.
1 9-inch pie crust (graham cracker works great)
1 cup milk
1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp cocount extract
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup cornstarch
7/8 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
chocolate garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- If your pie crust requires pre-baking, follow instructions, remove from oven and cool.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together milk, coconut milk, coconut extract and 1 cup of sugar.
- In a separate bowl dissolve cornstarch in water.
- After bringing coconut mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture. Stir over low heat until thickened ~ 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Once thickened, divide saucepan mixture into 2 bowls. Stir melted chocolate into one of the bowls until well combined. Spread into pie crust.
- For best results let first chocolate layer set in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once cooled (or if you just can’t wait), pour coconut layer over chocolate and spread to cover.
- Refrigerate until fully set ~ 1 – 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, whip cream and sugar until desired consistency. Spread over top of pie and garnish with grated chocolate if desired.
This is the best pie I know. I have gotten nothing but rave reviews, even from people who claim to not like coconut!