With a bumper crop of carrots on the way this spring, we’ll be cooking these babies up by the bowlful!
6 large-ish potatoes
2 large carrots (~2 cups grated)
olive oil & butter for frying
1 egg white to moisten the patties
2/3 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
handful of chopped chives
salt & pepper to taste
1+ tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons celery seed
2 teaspoons tumeric
2 teaspoons garlic salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
a generous squirt of sriracha
a dollop of mayonaise
- Fill a large pot with water. Wash the potatoes well and boil until tender (~30 minutes).
- While waiting for the potatoes to get tender, grate carrots, chop onions and herbs.
- Put the oil & butter in a skillet and fry carrots until slightly wilted. Add salt, garlic and onion right at the very end.
- Sprinkle in pepper, chives and cilantro and stir to combine.
- Drain potatoes and let cool.
- Place carrot mixture and peeled potatoes in a bowl and mash together.
- Add spices, egg white, sriracha and mayo. An additional egg white may be necessary to bring the mixture together if it is too dry.
- Form batter into 2″ diameter patties and fry in oil & butter until golden. Try to make them as thin as possible so that they cook all the way through. Also, be sure cook on low-med heat AT MAXIMUM- too hot and the patties will burn on the outside before cooking in the inside.
- Carefully remove from pan and dry on a paper towel. Serve with sour cream, applesauce, mustard or ketchup.