By itself this cornbread is delicious. Smeared with homemade Bermudian honey from my Uncle Donald and this cornbread transcends all. Next time, I will time my baking so that when the cornbread emerges from the oven it can go straight on the plate. Don’t forget to poke the top with a fork and slide on a healthy tab of butter.
1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup fresh corn kernels
2 tablespoons olive oil for skillet
- Heat oven to 425°F. Dig your cast iron skillet out of the cupboard and give it a good wipe.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, butter, corn kernels and honey.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and use a brush to grease bottom and sides of pan. Pour batter into skillet and place in oven. * Cook for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Drizzle with honey or sprinkle with cheese and serve.