A lovely treat that makes your kitchen smell great too!
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 apple, peeled and sliced thinly
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, cream together butter and white sugar.
- Mix in eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- In another bowl combine streusel ingredients.
- Grease and flour a pan (bundt or sheet, your choice).
- If you’re using a bundt pan: layer streusel on the bottom, top with half the batter. Then put another layer of streusel, a layer of apples and top with the remaining batter. If you’re using a sheet pan: start with half the batter, then a layer of streusel and a layer of apples. Top with the remaining batter and then finish with streusel.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean (don’t mistake the gooey center for uncooked batter!!).
- Slice and serve warm.