For those of us who prefer chewy, not snappy, when it comes to ginger cookies.
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced finely
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
white sugar to coat
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, then water and molasses. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour dry ingredients and minced ginger into wet ingredients and blend just until combined.
- Let mixture rest in fridge for 1 hour. At the end of the cooling time preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from oven and let sit on counter while you spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Shape dough into golf ball size spheres and roll in white sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on sheets and flatten with the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until just slightly cracked on top. Allow to cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool fully. Store in an airtight container and enjoy with a hot cup of tea.