A classic, easy recipe that’s sure to please lemon lovers.
9-inch baked pie shell
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon peel (optional)
1 1/2 cups water
4 egg whites (1/2 cup) at room temp
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (or cornstarch)
1/2 cup sugar
- Prepare and bake pie shell. Let cool.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt in saucepan. Slowly add water and stir until smooth.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring frequently. No walking away from the stove!
- Whisk eggs in another bowl. Quickly stir half of the hot mixture into eggs. Mix well. Pour back into saucepan and return to heat.
- Bring to boil again- stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, peel and butter. Pour immediately into shell.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over lemon, sealing all the way to the edge.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Let chill and refrigerate before eating. Garnish with lemon peel, if desired.