Thanks Ina, you’ve done it again.
Tweaked from Ina Garten’s Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread recipe.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk, room temperature
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten & room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted & room temperature
2 cups cheese, grated (good combo: 1 cup sharp cheddar, 1 cup jalapeno monterey jack)
1/3 cup chopped scallions
3 tablespoons seeded and diced fresh jalapeno peppers
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Wisk together eggs, milk and butter. Leave out on counter, covered, until room temperature. This makes a difference!
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients using a wooden spoon. Don’t overmix, just ‘till equally combined.
- Stir in cheese, scallions and jalapenos gently.
- Let batter sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, line a 9x13” glass pan with parchment paper and spray it with Pam.
- Pour batter into pan and top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into generous squares and enjoy warm.